David E. Cannella is an attorney who focuses on complex business litigation. He has extensive experience in class-action defense, trade secret litigation, defamation, franchise and distributor litigation, unfair competition, government contracts, as well as deceptive and unfair trade practices.
Mr. Cannella is well-versed in trying jury and nonjury business litigation cases to verdict as lead trial counsel in state and federal courts and has significant arbitration experience. Since 2010, Mr. Cannella has been board certified in Business Litigation Law by The Florida Bar.
In addition to his business litigation experience, Mr. Cannella has handled issues involving pharmaceutical and medical device product liability defense. He has been lead counsel in catastrophic injury claims. Mr. Cannella has testified regarding attorney fees in both state and federal courts. He has appeared pro hac vice as lead counsel in Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Tennessee.
In the community, Mr. Cannella volunteers as a board member, mentor and advisor for the Orange County Teen Court Youth Offender Diversion Program, which handles criminal cases involving first-time youthful offenders involved primarily in misdemeanors. He also is dedicated to pro bono efforts, and in 2016, he represented a shooting victim of the Pulse Nightclub attack in Orlando in a dispute with an auto finance company.
Previously, Mr. Cannella served as an adjunct professor of business law at the University of Central Florida, and he was a faculty member of the Kessler-Eidson Program for Trial Techniques at Emory University School of Law.
- Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association, President, 2016-2017; President-Elect, 2015-2016; Treasurer, 2014-2015; Secretary, 2013-2014
- The Florida Bar, Civil Procedure Rules Committee, 2012-2015; Media & Communications Law Committee, 2009-2012
- American Bar Association, Membership Co-Chair, 2017-present; Section of Litigation Business Torts & Unfair Competition Committee, 2015-present
- George C. Young First Central Florida American Inn of Court, Master, 2012-present
- Leadership Orlando, Class 51
- Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law Election Protection, Field Volunteer, 2012, 2014, 2016
- University of Florida Justice Campbell Thornal Moot Court Board, Former Vice Chairman
- University of Florida Trial Team, Former Vice President
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., with honors
- Georgetown University, B.A., cum laude
Rate : $$$$