David M. Friebus has 15 years of experience litigating complex matters in trial and appellate courts around the country. David has extensive experience serving as lead counsel in cases involving breach of contract, business torts, trade secrets and constitutional claims. He also has significant experience representing businesses in international arbitrations and other cross-border disputes.
In addition to his trial work, David is an experienced appellate advocate. He has authored numerous briefs and argued several cases before federal and state courts of appeal. Clients also value David’s sophisticated legal analysis and strong writing skills in shaping litigation strategy and briefing critical motions. Following law school, David served as a staff law clerk for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Represented a German engine manufacturer in ICC arbitration against a Latin American energy developer for breach of a €60M contract to construct an electric power plant in Brazil. Case settled favorably following enforcement of arbitration award in Brazil.
- Represented a manufacturing client in a lawsuit brought by a former vendor involving alleged misappropriation of trade secrets. Obtained summary judgment in favor of client.
- Represented a manufacturing client in post-trial proceedings in a $74M lawsuit involving misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Obtained permanent injunction on behalf of leading gaming technology company barring state agency from disclosing client’s trade secrets and other confidential information in response to public records request.
- Represented Illinois’s largest healthcare provider in federal and state court class actions arising out of a data breach involving four million potentially affected patients. Authored a brief successfully opposing review by the Illinois Supreme Court of dismissal of lawsuits.
- Represented a manufacturing client in breach of contract action brought by a former steel supplier. Case settled favorably following briefing on summary judgment.
- Defended the State of Illinois in landmark litigation challenging political patronage in state and municipal government hiring practices. Authored a brief successfully opposing appointment of a federal monitor.
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association: Litigation Section
- International Bar Association
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 2003, cum laude; Articles Editor, Wisconsin Law Review
- B.A., St. John’s College, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 2018
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar, 2007
Rate : $$$