David Paul McHugh doesn’t simply represent his clients—he becomes part of their executive team. Drawing on his experience counseling a wide range of companies, from start-ups to Fortune 500 businesses, David crafts legal strategy with a singular goal: achieving his clients’ business objectives.
Regularly serving as outside general counsel to public and private companies, David collaborates with the firm’s other practice groups to find practical, forward-thinking solutions. Many of David’s former colleagues have become clients, relying on him for his day-to-day business and legal insight.
David has extensive experience advising public and private companies in connection with mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters, including organizational and compliance issues.
He combines deep legal knowledge with an entrepreneurial spirit to provide a fresh perspective on his clients’ challenges and helps develop comprehensive, cost-effective solutions. David then works with clients to adjust these solutions as they are implemented, ensuring successful outcomes that support long-term business strategies.
David’s clients are from diverse fields – such as manufacturing, technology and consumer products – appreciate his flexible, responsive counsel. He works with every level of management, and is adept at handling corporate governance, compliance and securities-related issues for businesses of all sizes. Clients trust David as a discreet, thoughtful advisor, and return to him for counsel regularly.
David is often called upon by clients to lead their international transactions. Clients rely on David’s judgment that he has developed from his first-hand experience working with a wide network of counsel throughout the world and navigating complex legal issues on cross-border transactions.
In addition to his work with public companies, David has represented a variety of others in their business dealings. He has advised issuers and investment banks in equity and debt offerings; has been bond counsel for state and local political subdivisions; and he works with private equity sponsors and investors in their acquisition, divestiture and financing activities.
- Under guidance from David, Newell Rubbermaid Inc. (NYSE: NWL) completed the $615 million acquisition of the worldwide stationery products businesses (PaperMate, Parker, Waterman and Liquid Paper brands) of The Gillette Company, which included the acquisition of stock and assets in more than 40 countries.
- David also worked with Newell Rubbermaid Inc. on the $450 million acquisition of American Saw & Mfg. Company, a manufacturer of saw-blade products, and the $445 million acquisition of Technical Concepts, a global provider of innovative restroom hygiene systems.
- Other Newell Rubbermaid Inc. acquisitions David advised on include: CardScan, Inc.; United Receptacle, a high-end commercial receptacles manufacturing business; assets of the BebeSounds brand of child and juvenile products; and the assets of the Solano brand of hair styling and related products and accessories for salon professionals
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1997
- University of Vermont, B.A., 1994
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law
- Chicago Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Vermont Bar Association
CIVIC AND CHARITABLE MEMBERSHIPS:
- Lurie Children’s Medical Center of Chicago, Director
- Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Foundation, Executive Committee, Director
- Stanley Manne Children’s Research Institute, Director
- Children’s Research Fund, Director, Executive Committee, Legal Counsel, Past Chairman; Past Treasurer
- Children’s Research Fund Junior Board Foundation, Legal Counsel, Past Co-Chair
Rate : $$$$