David Evan Otero’s national practice focuses on bankruptcy and tax litigation and counseling. A partner in both the Tax and Bankruptcy & Reorganization Practice Groups, his clients include Citigroup, Capital One, Nissan, Santander Bank, Sears, Synchrony Financial, U.S. Bank, Venus Fashion, and professional athletes.
In his tax practice, David advises multistate businesses on state and local tax controversy matters throughout the United States. He represents institutions financing both credit cards and automotives, national retailers, and other companies in refund actions (including bad debt sales tax recoveries), audit defense, administrative appeals, litigation, including appeals, and related consulting and planning.
In his national commercial bankruptcy and creditor’s rights practice, David represents financial institutions and other secured creditors, unsecured creditors, and creditors’ committees, as well as trustees and debtors-in-possession.
In addition, he represents financial institutions and other plaintiffs and defendants in related complex commercial litigation and bond defaults in federal and state court, and bankruptcy appeals.
He advises financial institutions and other businesses with respect to bankruptcy and creditors’ rights matters, including loan workouts and restructurings, tax matters, bond defaults, and issues legal opinions on substantive consolidation and true sale and other bankruptcy related issues. David also frequently represents clients in acquiring or investing in businesses in bankruptcy.
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School, 1986, Dean’s List
- B.A., University of Wisconsin – Madison, History, Political Science, and International Relations, 1984, with distinction
Bar Admissions : Florida; Wisconsin
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Florida Bar, Administrative Law, Business Law, Entertainment Arts and Sports Law, Taxation, and Trial Lawyers Sections, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy Insolvency and Creditors Rights, Intellectual Property, Sports & Entertainment Law, and Taxation Sections, Member
- Jacksonville Bankruptcy Bar Association, Past President
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Sports & Entertainment Law Committee, Member
Rate : $$$$