As Chair of the firm’s Fintech practice and a partner in the Financial Services Litigation department, David S. Reidy represents financial institutions and fintech companies in consumer class and individual actions around the country, as well as in connection with government enforcement and compliance matters at both the state and federal levels.
David’s class action experience includes defeating numerous nationwide certification motions and orchestrating favorable class settlements related to privacy, fair lending, credit reporting, debt collection and unfair business practices, and he has also represented clients in matters involving the FCC, state AGs and securities divisions, and the CFPB.
David regularly counsels fintech clients on compliance matters related to consumer financial services and serves as outside product counsel for several clients.
David is ranked in Legal500, in which clients recognized him as a “financial services and fintech specialist” and “master of his craft.” David was named as a “Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and Fintech Trailblazer” by the National Law Journal. He is active in the Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF) and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Justice & Diversity Center.
David was named one of the “50 Young California Lawyers on the Fast Track” by The Recorder newspaper and “Outstanding Barrister of the Year” by BASF. David is one of the founding partners of McGuireWoods’ San Francisco office and serves on the firm’s Recruiting and Pro Bono Committees.
- Represented Fintech client in connection with State Attorney General investigation of lending and servicing practices.
- Successfully represented national energy company in FCC investigation of telemarketing and dialing practices, resulting in a no-action letter issued by the FCC’s Enforcement Division.
- Defeated class certification in a nationwide TCPA class action asserting claims against a major financial institution based on a novel theory of “prior express consent” under the statute (featured in Law360 “5 Consumer Litigation Class Actions to Watch” in 2015).
- In a decision garnering national attention and featured as an AmLaw “Big Win,” helped defeat certification in a $1 billion MDL class action alleging mortgage lending discrimination against a national bank.
- Defeated certification and obtained summary judgment for a national bank and global retail chain in a class action involving claims related to ATM disclosures.
- Obtained summary judgment win for leading fintech platform in misappropriation and privacy claims by former employee.
- Represented a national “big box” store operator in a Constitutional challenge to a California city ordinance.
- University of California Hastings College of the Law, JD, 2002
- Sonoma State University, BA, English Literature and Music, magna cum laude with distinction, 1998
- California – All State and Federal Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- Member, Board of Directors, Justice & Diversity Center (2018)
- Member, BASF Litigation Section Executive Committee (term: 2015–2017)
- Board Member, Barristers Club (2010-2011) and BASF Board (2011)
- Committee Member, BASF Finance Committee (2010), BASF Bottom Line Partnership Diversity Task Force (2010-2011), BASF Data Gathering Committee (2013)
Rate : $$$