David L. Wyant’s practice focuses on all aspects of business law, including, but not limited to, trade secrets and restrictive covenants, securities law, all types of disputes in the financial services industry, business separations and cybersecurity litigation. He regularly reviews, negotiates and litigates contracts for businesses and individuals in many industries and also represents many small businesses in all legal aspects of their operations.
His litigation practice regularly finds him before state and federal courts, as well as the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). David has significant experience with regard to brokerage industry “golden parachute” disputes, including litigation involving compensation plans of various financial services companies.
He is also an experienced class action litigator, having been involved in numerous class actions related to the securities industry. While in college at Wesleyan, David was the varsity coxswain for the men’s rowing team and won the 2004 New England Championship.
Prior to law school, David was a high school rowing coach and newspaper reporter. During law school, he was an intern for the 12th Judicial Circuit in Sarasota and garnered numerous academic honors, including the Dean’s Award of Excellence for Best Oral Advocate.
- J.D., University of Memphis, 2010
- B.A., Wesleyan University, 2005
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Florida, 2010
- United States District Court Middle District of Florida, 2011
- United States District Court Southern District of Florida, 2012
- Shumaker Wins Defamation Case for Financial Advisor Against Merrill Lynch
- 05.02.2018 Financial Advisor IQ – Merrill Lynch to Fork Over Big Payout to Fired FA
- Shumaker Victory Recognized as One of Largest FINRA Awards Brokers Won from Their Firms
- 04.12.2018 InvestmentNews – Biggest Arb Awards Brokers Won from Their Firms
- Shumaker Attorneys Defeat Merrill Lynch’s Attempt to Keep Litigants Out of FINRA Arbitration
- 04.03.2018 AdvisorHub – Merrill Retreats from Battle to Fight Former Executives in Court
- 02.08.2018 AdvisorHub – Former Merrill Exec Wins Skirmish Over Losses in His Stock Plan
- Shumaker Attorneys Obtain TRO on Behalf of Morgan Stanley
- 02.06.2018 AdvisorHub – Judge Hands Morgan Stanley Another TRO Win, Hands Off to FINRA
- 01.24.2018 AdvisorHub – Morgan Stanley Wins Another Restraining Order Against Former Broker
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Sarasota County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Coxswain Coach, Sarasota Crew Rowing Club
- Art Center Sarasota, Chair of the Board
Rate : $$$