Edward P. Boyle is chair of Venable’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group in New York, and co-chair of the firm’s Class Action Defense Group. Ed focuses on litigating difficult disputes among parties to complex investment, financing, and other business transactions.
He represents clients in litigation involving earn-out provisions in merger and asset purchase agreements; he also deals with disputes involving hotel management agreements and real estate. In addition, he defends class actions, particularly in advertising and marketing, privacy, and other consumer protection areas.
Ed serves clients in the financial services, technology, consumer products, food, retail sales, advertising, media, and entertainment industries. Ed has extensive experience litigating in federal and state courts in New York and throughout the United States.
He has also handled numerous arbitrations and mediations, and has served as an expert on New York and U.S. law issues in proceedings abroad.
Prior to joining Venable, Ed served in a federal judicial clerkship, spent seven years as a litigation associate at Davis Polk & Wardwell in New York, two years teaching law school as an adjunct professor, and several years practicing with a commercial and employment litigation boutique, and served as a court-appointed mediator for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Ed has served as a mediator in disputes involving employment discrimination, civil rights, and consumer class action claims.
- Represents a business technology solutions company in an earn-out litigation (New Jersey Superior). Won dismissal with prejudice of an unrelated earn-out lawsuit (District of Delaware)
- Won an arbitration award in a dispute between major New York real estate developers that own adjoining properties in a tax lot on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. After a two-day trial, the arbitrator declared that our client had unfettered contractual rights to decide whether to consent to a residential development proposed for the neighboring lot
- Represents a major public utility in appellate proceedings concerning landowner liability to a contractor’s employee who is injured on the landowner’s premises
- Won more than $30 million on summary judgment for a major investment bank in an action to recover unpaid distributions from a liquidation trust (New York Supreme Court, Commercial Division)
- Internal investigations for financial services and advertising clients on a variety of issues involving federal and state laws
- Prior to joining Venable, defended an advertising agency against invasion of privacy claims by Yogi Berra, based on the use of Mr. Berra’s name in an advertising campaign.
- Represents a national consumer products company in a putative consumer class action concerning a “natural” label on client’s laundry detergent products (Eastern District of New York).
- Defended a major poultry producer and a national supermarket chain in putative consumer class action lawsuits challenging “humane” designations on poultry product labels (District of New Jersey; Middle District of Florida; Central District of California)
- Obtained final court approval of a non-cash settlement of a putative class action against a major national footwear company, alleging the company’s text messaging program with its customers violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (Northern District of California)
- Many pre-litigation resolutions of threatened consumer claims against clients in food, consumer products, and retail industries.
- J.D. Vanderbilt University Law School 1993
- B.A. Duke University 1989
Bar Admissions : New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Clerk Experience : Honorable Joseph M. McLaughlin U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit 1993-1995
Professional Memberships :
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, International Bar Association
- Adjunct associate professor of law, Fordham University Law School, 2000 – 2002
Community : Volunteer mediator, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2011 – present.
Rate : $$$