Edward Flanders, Managing Partner of the New York Office and former head of Pillsbury’s Litigation practice in New York, represents companies in large, complex commercial litigation and arbitration matters.
Ed’s practice includes claims arising out of construction contracts, insurance coverage disputes, manufacturing disputes, corporate governance, passenger railcar manufacturing contracts, long-term supply contracts and oil spills.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Served as lead trial counsel for the Board of Trustees of Athens College in three-week bench trial in dispute regarding governance of prestigious school in Greece and ownership of the school’s endowment. Obtained complete victory in 2016 resulting in the dismissal of all of the plaintiff’s clams and grant of client’s counterclaims.
- Represented claimant in a $180 million dispute over a tax-sharing agreement between formerly affiliated companies. Conducted 15 days of hearings in early 2014, and obtained award in favor of client.
- Served as co-lead trial counsel for a principal defendant in the MDL arising out of the Deepwater Horizon blowout and oil spill. Obtained dismissals and favorable settlements early in the proceedings.
- Representing New York University in $1 billion litigation arising out of insurer’s failure to pay for losses stemming from Superstorm Sandy, and contractor’s failure to protect a construction site resulting in extensive water damage.
- Representing a major passenger railcar manufacturer in numerous disputes with purchasers including state transportation authorities and vendors.
- Represented respondents in a multimillion dollar dispute arising from the sale of stock in a medical device supply company. Claimant withdrew arbitration demand. Costs awarded in favor of our client.
- Represented victims of sexual abuse against private school for permitting former football coach to abuse students. Defeated statute-of-limitations-based motion to dismiss using novel theory of equitable estoppel. Obtained favorable settlement.
- Represented Bombardier Transportation in connection with its $200 million contract claim against Amtrak regarding the construction of the Northeast Corridor High-Speed Train System. Obtained favorable settlement.
Associations : Currently serves as a member on the Board of Directors for the Legal Aid Society and for the Susan G. Komen Greater New York City Affiliate.
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 1989
- B.S., State University of New York, Cortland, 1981
ADMISSIONS : New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, 2nd, 5th, 7th and 11th Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$