With a focus on representing public utilities in their corporate and project-related financings, Eric A. Koontz combines industry knowledge with a sophisticated understanding of capital markets and securities law.
Eric represents clients in a variety of corporate and securities transactions, including public offerings and private placements of debt, equity and hybrid securities, mergers and acquisitions, share repurchase and liability management transactions, and alternative investments. He also has substantial experience advising public companies with respect to securities disclosure and corporate governance matters.
Eric’s experience includes representation of issuers in numerous public offerings of equity securities, including traditional underwritings, block trades, at-the-market offerings, and dividend reinvestment and direct purchase programs.
He also has extensive experience advising issuers in public offerings, Rule 144A/Reg S offerings, and private placements of debt and hybrid securities, including fixed- and floating-rate senior unsecured debt securities, first mortgage bonds, subordinated debt securities with hybrid features, and preferred and preference stock.
Eric also has experience with numerous tax-exempt bond offerings (new issuances and remarketings) relating to pollution control and solid-waste-disposal projects, including long-term fixed-rate bonds, variable-rate demand bonds, index rate bonds, and 13-month and other “put” bonds.
Further, Eric represents borrowers in syndicated and bilateral credit facilities and commercial paper programs, including unsecured 364-day and long-term revolving and term loan credit facilities.
Representative Matters :
- Public offering of $8.5 billion of senior notes issued by an energy services holding company to finance an acquisition.
- Public offering of €1.1 billion of euro-dominated “green bonds” issued by a wholesale generation subsidiary of a public utility holding company to fund solar and wind projects.
- Public offering of $1 billion of NYSE-listed junior subordinated notes to retail investors.
- $300 million private placement of mortgage-style senior notes secured by leases relating to newly constructed natural gas-fired generating units.
- Represented energy services companies as limited partner investors in energy technology venture funds (over $250 million in commitments).
- Represented a privately held real estate investment firm in a roll-up transaction involving more than 50 supermarket-anchored shopping centers and a concurrent $100 million convertible senior notes credit facility.
Professional and Community Involvement : Board of Directors, Diabetes Association of Atlanta.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with high honors, 1999
- Robert Morris College, B.S., magna cum laude, 1996, Business Administration
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia
Rate : $$$