Eric W. Olson is a partner with the Tax Practice Group with over 25 years of experience advising and representing businesses and individuals in tax disputes, tax planning, and transactional matters. Eric’s clients value his vast knowledge of technical tax issues, his extensive understanding of intricacies of local taxing authorities, and his negotiating and drafting skills.
His clients include real estate developers, real estate management and holding companies, professional practices, high tech businesses, manufacturers, distributorships, printing and direct mail businesses, broker/dealers, and high-net-worth individuals.
In his tax controversy practice, Eric represents taxpayers before the New York City Tax Commission, New York City Department of Finance, New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, New Jersey Division of Taxation, and the Internal Revenue Service.
The underlying disputed taxes include real property tax, sales and use tax, corporate tax, personal income tax, and excise tax. Eric represents clients during all stages of the tax controversy, including the audit, conference and appeals, trial, and settlement phases.
The tax planning services that Eric performs include structuring new businesses, reorganizing existing business, preparing real property tax projections, and obtaining advance tax rulings.
He works closing with the Economic Development & Incentives team to assist clients in the conceptualization and procurement of local, state, and federal tax incentive packages. Eric also researches technical tax issues and drafts reasoned tax opinion letters.
Eric’s transactional practice includes negotiating, drafting governing documents, and closing sophisticated business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, separations, joint ventures, workouts, and tax-free exchanges. He evaluates, devises, and implements succession plans, estate plans, and asset protection strategies for high-net-worth individuals.
- LL.M. in Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1995
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1992, Rutgers Computer & Technology Law Journal, Managing Production Editor
- M.B.A., Bernard M. Baruch College, CUNY, Computer Systems, 1987
- B.A., State University of New York at Albany, 1981, cum laude
Bar Admissions : New Jersey; New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Tax Court
- Rutgers University School of Law, Adjutant Faculty Member, 2007-2013
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Member
- New York Tax Study Group, Member
- Glen Ridge New Jersey Planning Board, Past Member, 2000-2005, Past Chairman, 2003-2005
- Clerk to the Honorable Lawrence L. Lasser, New Jersey Tax Court, P.J.T.C., 1992-1993
Rate : $$$$