Dr. Fangli Chen is a partner in the Litigation Department and vice chair of the Life Sciences Patent Practice. Dr. Chen represents all types of companies in the biotech and pharmaceutical industries, and has deep scientific expertise and a strong business sense.
She effectively identifies and transforms technological developments into valuable intellectual property assets for her clients and specializes in the strategic development of complex IP portfolios for companies that align with their business goals.
The primary focus of her practice is intellectual property prosecution, which includes strategic development of complex patent portfolios for companies, universities and research institutions.
She prepares and prosecutes patent applications in the fields of biochemistry, molecular and cell biology, immunology, biochemical and molecular diagnostics, pharmaceuticals, microbiology, molecular genetics, pharmacogenomics, recombinant technologies, enzyme replacement therapy, messenger RNA therapy, gene therapy, bioinformatics, drug discovery, medical devices and chemistry; performs due diligence investigations, and provides freedom-to-operate studies, non-infringement and invalidity analysis.
Dr. Chen also has a wealth of experience in the following areas:
- Post-grant challenges: representing clients in inter partes review interference and various foreign opposition proceedings.
- Technology transactions & licensing: advising clients on matters relating to technology or material transfer, licensing and research collaborations.
- Investment or acquisition counsel: assisting investors in assessing the technology and intellectual property assets and risks for potential target investments and counseling companies on intellectual property matters in connection with public offering or acquisition.
Prior to joining Proskauer, Dr. Chen was a partner at a leading Boston law firm. Dr. Chen has been recognized for client service excellence in 2015 by Client Choice, and has been named an “Up & Coming Lawyer” by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, a Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star and a World’s Leading Patent Practitioner by IAM Patent 1000.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., 2006
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Ph.D., 2001
- Oklahoma State University, M.S., 1995
- Fudan University, B.S., 1990
Admissions & Qualifications :
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Rate : $$$