Francis A. McDermott’s practice focuses on land use, zoning, planning and development approvals, and litigation relating to the regulation and use of real property.
Frank’s practice encompasses development-related environmental issues, such as water quality regulation; public infrastructure issues, such as the availability of and fees charged for access to public utilities; and due diligence assessment of development and other property rights.
His representations include development arms of multinational corporations, national and regional developers, investment groups and financial institutions.
He has participated in successful landmark litigation relating to zoning denials, and downzonings; sewer, zoning and development plan moratoria; vested property rights; tax assessment appeals; utility rates; and eminent domain.
Frank is admitted to practice before the US Supreme Court, the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, and the Supreme Court of Virginia.
He served as law clerk to the Hon. Lawrence W. I’Anson, Justice (later Chief Justice) of the Supreme Court of Virginia. He has been a member of numerous commissions, task forces and committees appointed to advise local governments on issues such as engineering design and construction standards, zoning ordinance amendments, water quality planning and standards, pending downzonings, comprehensive planning and revitalization, transportation and other infrastructure.
- Entitled a 8.2 million square foot mix of office, regional center, hotel, other commercial and residential uses.
- Entitled a 4.7 million square foot mix of regional mall, hotel and office uses.
- Entitled a 4.5 million square foot mix of office, retail, hotel and industrial uses.
- Entitled a 3.9 million square foot mix of office, retail and residential uses.
- Entitled a 3.5 million square foot transit oriented mix of residential (2,248 units), office and retail uses.
- Entitled a 2.5 million square foot mix of residential, office, retail, hotel and theatre uses.
- Entitled a 2.0 million square foot town center mix of retail, office, residential, hotel and theatre uses.
- Entitled a 3,600 acre residential planned community comprised of 10,000 dwelling units and 1.5 million square feet of retail, office and other commercial uses.
- Represented a consortium of commercial property owners in establishment of a special tax district to facilitate the connection of Dulles Airport and Tysons Corner to DC by rail and thereby create rail corridor development opportunities.
- Has obtained condemnation awards of $15.3M, $5.25M, several in excess of $1M.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 1970
- AB, College of the Holy Cross, 1965
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Member, Litigation Section and Section of Urban, State, and Local Government Law, American Bar Association
- Member, Fairfax County Economic Advisory Commission, 1992-2017
- Founding Director, National Center for Child Advocacy and Protection, Washington, DC
Rate : $$$