George Yu is a pragmatic intellectual property trial lawyer, and his practice focuses on patent infringement litigation and counseling. Drawing on a strong background in biochemistry and molecular biology, George is at ease handling matters that involve complex biotechnology and medical technology products. George also has extensive experience in the high-tech and software products fields.
- Vice President of IP and Litigation for a leading molecular diagnostics company. Managed several litigations, patent office post-grant proceedings, and extensive patent prosecution portfolio, while working closely with other in-house, as well as outside counsel to achieve cost-effective resolutions for the company. Worked closely with senior management to implement IP strategy. Participated in the acquisition of the company.
- Assistant general counsel for a research leader, developer, manufacturer and worldwide distributor of microarray technology used in analyzing complex genetic information, where he defended the company against claims of patent infringement, including: a matter of patent infringement which ended with a successful summary judgment on non-infringement and was affirmed on appeal; the successful defense of another claim of patent infringement which led to a favorable settlement; and patent litigation work in the District of Delaware, where the opposing party was found to have infringed five of the company’s patents and paid the company $95 million as part of a settlement.
- Currently lead counsel in three patent infringement litigations.
- Experience in AIA post-grant proceedings on behalf of Petitioners and Patent Owners.
- Successful trial team member that obtained judgment of obviousness in an ANDA litigation in the District of New Jersey.
- Successful trial team member in a high-stakes patent matter in the District of Delaware involving recombinant Human Factor VIII resulting in the dismissal of all claims against his clients in an opinion that was recently affirmed by the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Obtained a pre-answer dismissal for an electronics company in a patent infringement action in the Northern District of California.
- Defended a semiconductor company in a patent infringement action in the Western District of Washington and helped to negotiate a favorable settlement.
- Defended an online matchmaking company in a patent infringement action in the Eastern District of Texas and helped to negotiate a favorable settlement.
- Led the technical and scientific aspects of a high-profile patent infringement case involving monoclonal antibody technology on behalf of one of the world’s leading developers of tools, products and services used to screen blood and ensure blood safety in the transfusion industry.
- Represented a global manufacturing company in a copyright infringement litigation in the Northern District of California and was successful in compelling arbitration in Sweden of a breach of contract claim involving enterprise software.
- A three-week long bench trial of a trade secret misappropriation matter involving the theft of FDA manuals and cells used to make monoclonal antibodies, in which he represented the plaintiff resulting in a multi-million dollar verdict in favor of his client which was affirmed on appeal.
- Representing the plaintiff, a nonprofit research institute, in a jury trial involving ownership of patents relating to nucleic acid detection technology.
- University of California – Los Angeles – School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Stanford University, M.S., 1994
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, B.S., 1988
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Biotech Litigation Subcommittee, Co-chair
- Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society
Rate : $$$