Gordon Peery is a Partner and the Chairman of the Derivatives Practice Group. Mr. Peery is a leader in the firm in providing investment management counsel and is a leading authority internationally in over-the-counter derivatives, futures and derivatives in securitizations.
Mr. Peery has lectured and practiced throughout the U.S. and Canada, and has counseled clients and taught in London, Frankfurt, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan, Australia and Brunei on effective ways to execute and settle derivatives in the current regulatory environment.
He has also taught regulations implementing –and subsequent law scaling back– the Volcker Rule, as well as margin and capital regulations arising out of Basel III and Title VII of Dodd Frank. As a member of the Real Estate practice, Mr. Peery also provides regulatory and transactional counsel to real estate, energy, commodities and private equity clients.
As a securities and investment management lawyer serving global asset managers, insurance companies, pensions and other leading institutional investors and advisers, Mr. Peery brought to Seyfarth over a decade of experience working as a member of top tier investment management practices in U.S. and Canadian law firms recognized as industry leaders.
Mr. Peery is experienced in facilitating the execution of investment strategies in compliance with the Investment Company Act of 1940 (1940 Act) and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and has direct experience with respect to the following:
- The launch of exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and other investment vehicles either regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) under the 1940 Act or exempt from the requirement to register as an investment company under the 1940 Act;
- Counseling advisers with respect to the custody, recordkeeping and disclosure of derivatives and other financial instruments in light of the SEC’s enhancement of disclosure requirements;
- Counseling advisers with respect to 1940 Act segregation and cover requirements in light of SEC no-action letters;
Mr. Peery has counseled the largest pensions in the world, global trustees, asset managers and fund complexes, advisers of 1940 Act funds and portfolio managers of hedge funds and sub-advisors, Fortune 500 companies, utilities, providers of oil, gas, liquefied natural gas and electricity, international, community and regional banks, foundations, endowments, family offices and educational institutions, real estate developers and REITs as well as sovereign funds, counties, states and other governments both within and outside of the U.S.
Investment advisers headquartered in the United States and in other leading markets retain Mr. Peery as exclusive derivatives, custody and regulatory counsel, notwithstanding the fact that these clients already have fund counsel. Mr. Peery advised staff and members of Congress in their drafting of parts of Dodd Frank prior to its enactment in 2010 and he continues to counsel clients following the enactment of The Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act into law on May 24, 2018.
- J.D., Vanderbilt Law School (1995), recipient, Bennett Douglas Bell endowed memorial honor and President, Vice President and elected member, Vanderbilt Law School Honor Council
- B.A. in International Relations and Political Science, University of Southern California (1991), magna cum laude and member of Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi
Rate : $$$