J. Brent Justus is an antitrust lawyer who advises clients on a range of competition issues, with a particular focus on cartel defense, litigation, and merger clearances. He has litigated matters in federal courts throughout the United States and has handled cases under virtually every aspect of the antitrust laws including monopolization, price fixing, vertical conspiracies, boycotts, and price discrimination, as well as a number of state antitrust and unfair competition statutes.
Brent also has successfully represented both corporate clients and individuals located throughout the world in connection with global criminal antitrust cartel investigations. His practice has included representation of clients before the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission, the Canadian Competition Bureau, and the European Commission Directorate General for Competition.
In addition, Brent has worked extensively on merger investigations involving both domestic and European companies and coordinates the preparation of both Hart-Scott-Rodino and international premerger clearance filings.
Brent is regularly featured as a speaker on a diverse range of antitrust-related topics and serves as the co-chair of the Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee of the ABA’s Antitrust Section.
He is also an editor of the three-volume State Antitrust Practice and Statutes (Fifth)published by the ABA Antitrust Section, serves on the Board of the Business Law Section of the Virginia State Bar, and is a past chair of the Antitrust Section of the Virginia State Bar.
- Representation of industry-leading manufacturer in global cartel investigation involving simultaneous government investigations in Europe, Canada and the United States.
- Coordinated the successful merger clearance of two global manufacturers, handling simultaneous investigations by authorities in the United States, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
- Representation of large multinational corporation in the establishment and maintenance of antitrust compliance and audit programs across multiple business units.
- Representation of major food company in antitrust litigation brought by competitor asserting both conspiracy and monopolization claims.
- Frequent advisor to merger arbitrage funds regarding the timing and likelihood of government antitrust challenges to announced merger transactions.
- Harvard Law School, JD, magna cum laude, 2000
- The College of William & Mary, BS, Government and Chemistry, summa cum laude, 1997
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2018-present
- Co-Chair, Section of Antitrust Law, Cartel & Criminal Practice Committee, American Bar Association, 2017-present
- President, 2011-2012, Antitrust, Franchise and Trade Regulation Section, Virginia State Bar
- President, 2009-2012, Rebuilding Together of Richmond
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
Rate : $$$$