For more than 20 years, James M. Heslin has focused on helping medical device companies protect and enforce their domestic and international intellectual property rights, as well as advising venture capitalists who invest in medical technology companies.
Jim’s medical and surgical device clients span a broad array of technologies, including angioplasty, atherectomy, stent delivery, arthroscopic treatments, suturing devices, ultrasound imaging and therapy, gynecological devices, minimally invasive surgical equipment, implantable hearing aids, drug delivery systems, orthodontics, orthopedics, and diagnostics.
In addition, Jim has extensive experience in investor due diligence, portfolio evaluation, licensing matters, and the preparation of patent validity and infringement opinions. He also counsels clients regarding in-house intellectual property protection programs.
Prior to joining the firm, Jim was the founder and leader of the medical device technology patent group at Townsend and Townsend and Crew (now Kilpatrick Townsend). He also served as general counsel for Align Technology.Jim currently serves as a member of the firm’s Policy Committee.
- J.D., UC Berkeley School of Law, 1978
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1973
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Section, California Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$