Jennifer S. Smart is a Member in Stoll Keenon Ogden’s Lexington office and has been with the firm since 2012. She is in the State and Federal Tax practice group and works with companies and individuals across a wide span of industries in state and local tax matters, including controversies, litigation, and government affairs.
Jennifer is a member of the Broadband Tax Institute, regional editor of the American Bar Association Property Tax Deskbook, and the firm’s representative to the Council on State taxation (COST).
Jennifer has served as lead counsel in numerous complex state and local tax cases, and has successfully resolved many regulatory and legislative matters for clients involving state and local tax issues.
Before joining SKO, Jennifer was a partner and chair of the state and local tax practice group at a major law firm in Lexington for several years. She previously served as a staff attorney manager at the Kentucky Department of Revenue.
Tax Law: Jennifer has extensive experience in handling administrative proceedings before the Kentucky Department of Revenue, local taxing authorities, the Kentucky Claims Commission and all levels of the state’s judicial system. Jennifer also represents clients before the Kentucky General Assembly in legislative and regulatory matters.
- Tulane University Law School 1985, J.D.
- Louisiana State University 1981, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court
- American Bar Association, member; Section of Taxation member; Property Tax Deskbook regional editor, 2010-present
- Kentucky Bar Association, member; Section on Tax member; Taxation Committee Chair, 2005-2006
- Louisiana Bar Association, member
- Tennessee Bar Association, member
- Fayette County Bar Association, member; Women’s Bar Section member
- Broadband Tax Institute
- Council on State Taxation
- Kentucky Coal Association, member; Tax Committee member
- Fayette County Bar Foundation, board member, 2009-2011
- Leadership Lexington, 2003-2004
Rate : $$$