Jess Lyon serves as general counsel to food and beverage companies, from startups and leading emerging companies to middle market family-owned businesses and established global brands.
He advises clients on a daily basis about practical transactions involving ingredient sourcing, manufacturing and supply chain relationships, wholesale and consumer products branding and distribution models, and regulatory and policy strategies.
In addition, Jess structures and negotiates business mergers, acquisitions, and sales, as well as joint ventures and other strategic agreements for intellectual property licensing, production, distribution, and marketing.
Jess is particularly experienced with advising alcohol beverage industry companies and investors, including with regard to multi-state tied-house laws.
Prior to launching his legal practice, Jess earned advanced degrees in agricultural economics. He represents a diverse array of “new school” food and agricultural companies throughout the West Coast.
Jess advises clients in transactions involving crop production, manufacturing, and supply chain relationships, including PACA-regulated transactions and state agricultural liens.
Jess structures and negotiates agreements for sustainable farm operations, as well as joint ventures and other strategic transactions related to the development and commercialization of new plant varieties and other intellectual property.
Professional & Community Activities:
- Founder and Host, Farm to Label, Davis Wright Tremaine event, 2013-2016
- Board of Directors, Zenger Farm
- General Counsel, Oregon Winegrowers Association
- Advisory Committee, School of Hospitality Business Management, Washington State University
- National Board of Advisors, College of Business, Washington State University
- Steering Committee, Northwest Agribusiness Executive Seminar
- Past President, Agricultural Law Section, Oregon State Bar
- J.D., George Mason University School of Law, 1998, with high honors
- M.S., Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, 1995
- B.S., Agricultural Economics, Washington State University, 1992, cum laude
Rate : $$$