P. John Burke advises clients on various aspects of developing, producing, financing and distributing film, television and other projects involving intellectual property (IP). He also assists with merger and acquisition transactions involving IP assets.
John has extensive experience in structuring and executing co-financing arrangements, including major studio slates, complex distribution agreements, tax-advantaged financing subsidies and co-production arrangements around the world.
- Handles structuring and executing of co-financing arrangements.
- Focuses on media finance, with an emphasis on motion picture transactions.
- Has represented major studios in development of themed attractions.
- Represented a major, New York-based hedge fund in the acquisition from Citibank, N.A of Class A and Class B shares in the Beverly 1 slate financing facility with Sony Pictures.
- Advised an investor group in a slate co-financing distribution arrangement with a film studio. The arrangement includes a joint venture for the distribution by the investor group of the studio’s films in China.
- Serves as outside counsel for the American Film Institute, one of the leading film schools in the world.
- Assisted a major, New York-based private equity group in negotiating and structuring its multiyear slate co-financing agreement with Warner Bros Pictures.
- Member, Entertainment Law Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Officer and corporate counsel, American Film Institute.
- Member, advisory committee of the UCLA Entertainment Law Symposium.
- Member, Entertainment Law Section, Beverly Hills Bar Association.
- LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1977
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 1976
Rate : $$$