John P. Melko’s practice focuses on complex sales, acquisitions, bankruptcies and financings in the energy sector throughout the United States, as well as shipping-related issues in both foreign and domestic cases and financings.
John has years of cross-border and multinational experience with oil and gas exploration and production, refining and marketing, airlines, telecommunications, electric utilities, manufacturing, retail, rig and ship finance, mass torts and asset-backed securities. He has represented:
- Borrowers and debtors in possession
- Creditors and creditors’ committees
- Securitized noteholders
- Buyers of assets and businesses in and out of restructuring or bankruptcy settings
Throughout his career, John has helped guide clients through dislocations in the energy, shipping, telecommunication, real estate and health care markets, utilizing chapter 7, chapter 11, and chapter 15 procedures.
For over two years, John was general counsel of a media company with extensive activity buying, upgrading and selling media properties in all parts of the United States, an experience that added to his appreciation for lean staffing and efficient matter management.
John also serves as co-chair of the firm’s Bankruptcy & Business Reorganizations Practice.
- J.D., South Texas College of Law, (1984)
- B.S., Widener University, (1976)
- Business Administration (Accounting)
- B.A., Widener University, (1976)
- English Literature
- Texas (1984)
- Texas State Courts (1984)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Council Member, Vice President, Business, Bankruptcy Law Section
- Environmental and Natural Resources Section
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Section
- Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- Board Member, Energy Committee Chair, U.S.-Mexico Bar Association
- Member, Planning Committee
- Member, American Petroleum Institute, Houston Chapter
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth, Houston
Rate : $$$