A former deputy general counsel of the Florida Department of Environmental Regulation (now DEP), Silvia M. Alderman is the chair of Akerman’s Water Task Force, a team of multidisciplinary legal professionals and consultants advising on the regulatory and environmental challenges facing our clients.
Silvia represents regulated interests such as developers, agricultural businesses, industrial companies, and governmental entities in environmental and land use law. She has served as state-wide wetlands and threatened and endangered species counsel for a Fortune 10 company, and is known for her work with water resources and wastewater regulation.
With extensive experience on environmental and land use matters, Silvia works on environmental permitting and enforcement negotiation and litigation, contracts, land development, state land leasing and easements, and growth management. She has local government comprehensive planning experience, having served as counsel for the Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Commission for 14 years.
Silvia also represents clients in connection with numerous developments of regional impact (DRIs) and with comprehensive plan amendment litigation. She is Board Certified by The Florida Bar in State and Federal Government and Administrative Practice.
- J.D., Florida State University College of Law, 1977
- B.S., Chadron State College, 1973, summa cum laude
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional Experience :
- Katz, Kutter, Alderman & Bryant, P.A., Founding Partner, 1987-2004
- Office of General Counsel, Department of Environmental Regulation, Deputy General Counsel for Permitting, 1983-1984
- Office of General Counsel, Department of Environmental Regulation, Deputy General Counsel for Enforcement, 1981-1983
- Office of General Counsel, Department of Environmental Regulation, Assistant General Counsel, 1977-1981
- Regulatory Team of the Central Florida Water Initiative, Member, 2014
- The Florida Bar, State and Federal Government and Administrative Practice Board Certification Grade Review Panel, Member, 2011; Second Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee, Member, 2011; Federal Judicial Nominating Commission, Florida Northern District, Member; Environmental and Land Use Law Section, Executive Council, Ex Officio Member, Past Chairman, 1986-1987; Past Chairman-Elect, 1985-1986; Past Secretary-Treasurer, 1984- 1985; Past Workshops Chairperson, 1982-1983; Past Executive Council, 1981-1988; Past Co-editor of the Section Reporter, 1981-1982
- Natural Resources Committee, Florida Chamber of Commerce, Member
- American Bar Association, Section on Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice, Member, Executive Council, 1993-1995
- Governor Lawton Chiles’ Environmental Transition Task Force, Past Member, 1990-1991
- Thomas More Catholic Church, Pastoral Council Member
Rate : $$$$