Jonathan Ko focuses on capital market transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate matters, including advising companies on SEC reporting obligations, corporate governance matters, and other corporate and securities law matters. He has been listed for inclusion in IFLR1000.
Mr. Ko represents issuers, selling security holders and investment banks in a wide range of public and private debt and equity financings, including initial public offerings and follow-on and secondary offerings, as well as high-yield and investment grade debt offerings.
Representations include debt and equity financings by AdvancePierre Foods Holdings, Inc.; American Homes 4 Rent; Freescale Semiconductor, Ltd.; Hanmi Financial Corporation; Maiden Holdings, Ltd.; Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc.; Public Storage, Inc.; Quiksilver, Inc.; Viking Cruises Ltd.; Westfield Corporation; and numerous special purpose acquisition companies, such as CF Corp. and Social Capital Hedosophia Corp., among others.
Mr. Ko has extensive experience in liability management transactions, advising clients in connection with debt tender and exchange offers and consent solicitations. Representative transactions include Residential Capital, LLC in its exchange offer for $14 billion of indebtedness; Freescale Semiconductor, Ltd. in its restructuring of $5.8 billion of indebtedness; and Quiksilver, Inc. in its $140 million debt-for-equity exchange.
In addition, Mr. Ko has represented a diverse range of clients in joint venture transactions and mergers and acquisitions involving various industries. Representative transactions in which Mr. Ko has been involved include, among others:
- AustralianSuper Pty Ltd. in its joint venture with General Growth Properties, Inc. to own and operate the Ala Moana Center Mall in Honolulu;
- QIC Global Real Estate in its $2.1 billion joint venture with Forest City Enterprises Inc. to invest, using a REIT structure, in a portfolio of eight regional shopping malls owned by Forest City;
- Westfield America, Inc. in its $1.3 billion joint venture with O’Connor Capital Partners and in its $4.8 billion joint venture with Canada Pension Plan Investment Board;
- Freescale Semiconductor, Ltd. and a private equity consortium, including The Blackstone Group L.P., The Carlyle Group LP, Permira Funds and TPG Capital, L.P., in Freescale’s $11.8 billion acquisition by NXP Semiconductors NV;
- Oaktree Capital Management funds in connection with their $175 million investment in First BanCorp;
- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 1998
- B.A., Loyola Marymount University, 1995
Admissions : California
- Member, Executive Committee, Asia Society Southern California
- Member, Executive Advisory Council, Asian Americans Advancing Justice — Los Angeles
Rate : $$$