Joseph Kovars is a shareholder in Baker Donelson’s Baltimore office. Mr. Kovars concentrates his practice in construction and public contracts law. He is co-chair of Baker Donelson’s Construction Group. He represents contractors, subcontractors, sureties and owners in contract formation, and construction disputes involving many types of construction projects.
Mr. Kovars’ experience as first chair litigator in large and complex cases includes appearances before federal and state courts, trial and appellate levels, boards of contract appeals and the comptroller general. He also acts as an arbitrator and mediator in resolving disputes.
He has extensive experience with contract interpretation disputes, delay and impact claims, contract terminations, bid protests, mechanics’ liens, bond claims and injunctions. Mr. Kovars has participated in approximately 70 arbitrations as an arbitrator and as an attorney.
Mr. Kovars has been recognized in several publications as one of the leading attorneys in construction law. This recognition was confirmed by Mr. Kovars’ election to the American College of Construction Lawyers in 2014. Mr. Kovars is also the editor-in-chief of the Maryland Construction Law Deskbook (2nd Ed., 2017 Maryland State Bar Association).
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1978, with honors
- Boston University, B.A., 1975, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Member – American Bar Association
- Certified by the American Arbitration Association as Construction Industry Arbitrator, Advanced Training
- Member – District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member – Maryland State Bar Association
Rate : $$$