Joseph A. Spina regularly guides debtors, creditors, lenders, indenture trustees, and strategic investors in all aspects of high-stake corporate restructurings, including Chapter 11 cases, out-of-court restructurings, and distressed acquisitions.
Joe has extensive experience negotiating reorganization plans, structuring Chapter 11 “DIP” and “Exit” financings, representing potential purchasers of distressed assets and litigating contested matters in bankruptcy proceedings.
Joe’s restructuring experience spans a myriad of industries and includes the financial, retail, energy, chemical, telecommunications and automotive sectors.
Prior to joining O’Melveny, Joe was an associate at an international law firm.
Joe currently serves as Co-Chair of O’Melveny’s Attorneys of Color Employee Network (NY).
- Case experience includes:
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico: Represent the Puerto Rico Fiscal Agency and Financial Advisory Authority, as representative of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, in the restructuring of the territory’s debts
- Fieldwood Energy, LLC: Represent first lien term loan lenders in prepackaged Chapter 11 restructuring of company’s debt
- La Paloma Generating Company, LLC: Represent operator of large natural gas facility in its Chapter 11 proceedings
- Hanjin Shipping Co.: Represented Samsung Electronics as beneficial cargo owner in the Korean shipping company’s Chapter 15 proceeding
- Coso Geothermal Power Holdings LLC: Represented Lessor Noteholders in out-of-court restructuring of one of the largest geothermal power plant operators in the country
- The Sports Authority, Inc.: Represented Term Loan Lenders in the Company’s Chapter 11 proceedings
- Arch Coal, Inc.: Represented Indenture Trustee of Second Lien Notes as ex officio member of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
- Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP: Represented the Liquidation Trustee in the largest law firm bankruptcy case in United States history
- Lehman Brothers: Represented multiple investment funds aggregating hundreds of millions in allowed claims in the Chapter 11 cases
- New Jersey
- New York
- Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
- University of Notre Dame, J.D., 2014, Notre Dame Journal of International and Comparative Law, Senior Articles Editor; Space Law Moot Court Team, Member
- Manhattan College, B.S., 2011: cum laude, Business Marketing
- Honorable J. Michelle Childs, US District Court, District of South Carolina
- Honorable G. Ross Anderson Jr., US District Court, District of South Carolina
- Turnaround Management Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- New York City Bar Association
Rate : $$$