Julie M. Peters’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and international arbitration. Julie’s wide-ranging litigation practice takes her before the US Federal and Virginia State courts, as well as international arbitral bodies and federal agencies.
Her clients include national US corporations, foreign government entities, engineering and construction firms, technology companies, hotel owners, and the largest school board in Virginia.
Julie has represented corporate and governmental clients in disputes involving complex commercial transactions, bilateral investment treaties, major public construction projects, patent matters, employment discrimination, business torts and constitutional law.
Julie also has significant experience in representing foreign governments and their agencies and instrumentalities, both in State-to-State arbitrations before international tribunals, and against private litigants in US Federal courts.
Julie has an active pro bono practice, focusing on issues relevant to immigrant women and children.
Prior to attending law school, Julie lived in Switzerland for two years, where she taught high school French and mathematics, and in Argentina for one year, where she taught individual and group English classes to Argentine executives.
- Represent a national electricity company in an arbitration before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) against a foreign government for alleged breaches of treaty obligations related to a nuclear power plant.
- Represent a partnership of two major US-based engineering and construction firms on issues related to natural disaster response.
- Represent a local-government institution in several matters before the US Federal and Virginia courts involving claims related to employment discrimination, Title VII, Section 1983, constitutional law, intentional torts and the Freedom of Information Act.
- Represented a major engineering and construction firm in a substantial dispute involving a significant public construction project.
- Represented a foreign hotel owner in an arbitration before the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) against a major U.S. hotel management company.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in an arbitration before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) involving a foreign government’s alleged breach of a bilateral investment treaty.
- Represented a major engineering and construction firm in a collective action involving FEMA housing inspections following natural disasters.
- Represented a leading on-site service solutions company in a RICO action against a multimillion member labor union.
- Represented a global packaging company patent owner in a substantial patent infringement action against US and foreign companies in the beauty industry.
- Represented a technology company patent owner in a substantial patent infringement action against multiple Fortune 50 and other major US companies.
- Represented a hotel owner before the Virginia courts in a substantial dispute against a major US hotel management company involving alleged breaches of contract and business tort claims.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in a high-profile defamation case.
- Represented a foreign government before a tribunal established to adjudicate international humanitarian law claims arising from an international border dispute.
- Represented a foreign government in US Federal courts in actions involving the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, the Alien Tort Statute, and the Flatow Amendment.
- Represented U.S. producers in international trade proceedings before the US Department of Commerce, the US International Trade Commission, and the US Court of International Trade.
- JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, Associate Editor of the Journal of International Economic Law, 2001
- BA, International Relations and French, Georgetown University, 1995
- District of Columbia
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of International Law and Practice
- Member, American Society of International Law
Rate : $$$$