John E. DeLascio represents and counsels insurers, reinsurers and retrocessionaires in complex insurance coverage and reinsurance matters in various forums. He has substantial experience in litigating, arbitrating and mediating a wide variety of insurance cases, including alleged bad faith claims, mass tort, environmental, asbestos, Managing General Agent, and risk pool disputes.
John handles matters involving occurrence-based and claims-made based coverage and is experienced in varied lines of insurance, including professional liability; Directors & Officers (D&O); Errors & Omissions (E&O) for insurance brokers, lawyers, accountants, real estate agents, medical and human resources professionals; Employment Practices Liability (EPL); and Comprehensive General Liability (CGL) lines, including long-tail toxic tort (asbestos and environmental claims), and advertising injury claims.
John regularly assists and advises industry clients in numerous aspects of the insurance business from policy drafting and claims handling to coverage litigation and reinsurance arbitrations.
He also has extensive experience defending professionals against malpractice claims and consumer-related class actions such as the FDCPA and TCPA in both federal and state courts and has extensive appellate experience. In addition, John also has managed a national claims bordereaux for a London-based professional liability carrier.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in April 2015, John was a partner in a litigation firm headquartered in Chicago. Before entering private practice, he served as a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Justice Everette A. Braden (Retired), Illinois Appellate Court, First District, and Circuit Court of Cook County, Chancery Division. In addition, John served as a legal extern to the Honorable George N. Leighton (Retired).
Representative Matters :
- Representation of primary and excess property and casualty insurers in complex multi-party environmental cases involving significant coverage disputes
- Representation of primary and excess property and casualty insurers in significant mass tort and long-tail cases including asbestos claims
- Representation of insurers and reinsurers in disputes over claims and collections including issues such as “follow the fortunes,” late notice, “utmost good faith,” allocation and accounting
- Representation of insurer in multi-million dollar insurance and reinsurance pool dispute with pool manager regarding various risk pool management issues
Professional Affiliations :
- ARIAS US, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- DRI, Member
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), Member
Rate : $$$