Julie Furer Stahr is sought after as an advisor and litigator by clients large and small who want effective, real-world counsel and solutions to the personnel issues employers face on a daily basis.
A one-stop shop for a broad range of human resources and employment law needs, Julie is an excellent resource who can demystify a complex web of issues. She is able to focus on a client’s big picture and understands that employment law problems are only a small part of it.
That’s why Julie gears her advice toward furthering business operations and management goals in the most efficient way possible, and provides clear direction and counsel in language that makes sense to non-lawyers.
Julie is an experienced litigator and counselor representing management in employment-related matters in state and federal court and administrative agencies. Her work includes discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims, tort claims such as defamation, public policy and common law claims, employment contract and severance claims, reductions in force, claims involving restrictive covenants and trade secrets; and wage and hour claims. When it comes to looking down the road for her clients, Julie is astute. She can anticipate potential issues or risks that may arise based on decisions made today.
- Julie obtained dismissal of trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract claims by a manufacturer and distributor of concession food equipment and supplies against her client, a large specialty ingredient corporation, by successfully demonstrating lack of personal jurisdiction over her client and inapplicability of the contract at issue to the allegedly misappropriated information.
- Julie is a strong litigator on behalf of her clients, obtaining final decisions that fully and favorably dispose of her clients’ cases. Most recently, Julie defended her client, a global electronics products company, against claims filed by a former females sales executive who filed multiple internal complaints, agency charges, and an arbitration demand alleging sex discrimination and retaliation. Julie secured a final award in favor of her client on all claims after a six-day arbitration hearing.
- Julie has obtained summary judgment on behalf of many clients, including for her client, a national in-store marketing company sued in federal district court by a former employee for race and sex discrimination, harassment and other claims under Title VII and Section 1981.
- She secured a summary judgment on an age discrimination claim that was filed in federal district court by a former employee against a large national distribution company, which was upheld on appeal by the former employee to the Third Circuit.
- Julie has successfully tried cases resulting in judgment in favor of her clients, including defending a national grocery chain at trial against claims of retaliation and wrongful termination filed in Illinois state court by a former employee.
- She obtained dismissal on the pleadings of claims filed in Illinois state court by a former employee of an educational management company alleging breach of contract, discrimination, and numerous tort claims.
- She has handled hundreds of administrative charges before the EEOC and state agencies, securing dismissals at an early stage without further agency action.
- Julie regularly negotiates favorable, often nuisance value settlements on behalf of many clients, always keeping the big picture and client goals in mind.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- American Bar Association, Past Chair
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Past Board Member
- State Bar of California
Rate : $$$$