Mark S. Mandel, a former chief of the New York office of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Broker-Dealer Enforcement, focuses his practice on complex securities-related litigation and enforcement.
Mark has over 20 years’ experience as a private practitioner representing investment banks, broker-dealers, market makers, corporations, investment advisers, hedge funds and directors and officers in many high-profile matters, from SEC, DOJ, state attorneys general and self-regulatory organization investigations to national securities class actions.
Mark has consistently been involved in significant securities industry cases, including, among others, VIX related litigation, Exchange traded fund investigations, high frequency trading, the CDO investigations, structured and complex products investigations, the Squawk Box investigations, auction-rate securities, student loan investigations, options back-dating, NYSE and SEC specialist investigations and the Salomon Brothers treasury bond investigation.
Representative Matters :
- Obtained a no enforcement action result on behalf of a family of hedge funds in an SEC investigation concerning a purported NAV restatement and related fund mergers following the implementation of FAS 157.
- Represented a major broker-dealer in investigations by the SEC and numerous states’ attorneys’ general concerning auction-rate securities.
- Represented a major broker-dealer in connection with investigations concerning the sale of non-traditional exchange-traded funds.
- Obtained dismissal of Section 16(b) complaint in the EDNY on behalf of an investment adviser, investment manager and hedge fund.
- Obtained the dismissal with prejudice of a major broker-dealer in a consumer class action alleging breach of fiduciary duty in connection with stock-lending practices.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 1987
- Hofstra University, B.B.A., 1984
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Rate : $$$