Matt Cowan counsels clients through sensitive internal investigations, inquiries by federal and state enforcement authorities, and related criminal and civil litigation in the energy, technology, and financial services industries. He advises companies on regulatory matters in connection with U.S. operations, and has considerable experience in complex e-discovery, compliance, and privacy matters.
He devotes significant time to the Firm’s pro bono efforts. His recent pro bono work includes seeking clemency for a federal inmate under President Obama’s Clemency Project and litigating a § 1983 civil action for deprivation of rights.
- Counseling an electric vehicle and technology company on a wide range of issues in connection with its U.S. operations, including regulatory matters before multiple federal, state and local agencies.
- Represented a Fortune 500 energy company in connection with federal and state agency investigations into an industrial incident and environmental release.
- Represented multiple financial services clients in connection with investigations by the SEC.
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of a leading Medicare Advantage provider and health insurer in response to inquiries from federal and state enforcement authorities.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a Fortune 500 company’s audit committee to assess the compliance of its China-based subsidiary with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Obtained a declination of federal prosecution for a public company in a DOJ grand jury investigation of alleged misleading advertising claims.
- Obtained a declination of federal prosecution for a former medical device sales executive under investigation for fraud and device misbranding.
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of California at Los Angeles, B.A., Political Science
Rate : $$$