Matt Light focuses his practice on complex business litigation and class actions and has represented clients in a variety of matters, including false and deceptive advertising, consumer fraud, libel, breach of contract, fraud and other business torts.
His work has covered nearly all stages of litigation, from initial fact investigation and drafting pleadings through fact and expert discovery, motion practice, trial, post-trial briefing and appeals.
Before joining Shook, Matt worked as an associate for Sidley Austin LLP and did a pro bono fellowship with the Impact Litigation Unit at Bet Tzedek Legal Services.
Matt earned his law degree from UCLA School of Law and, while there, was an extern for the Hon. Dolly M. Gee of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Member of trial team that successfully defended DIRECTV in a lawsuit brought by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) seeking $4 billion in monetary relief and injunctive relief for alleged deceptive advertising and violations of the Restore Online Shoppers Confidence Act. The district court granted DIRECTV’s motion for judgment on partial findings after FTC rested its case-in-chief, and FTC thereafter dismissed the case with prejudice. The case was recognized as a significant victory by The Wall Street Journal, Law360, and the Daily Journal as a “Top Verdict” of 2018.
- Defended food distributor in class action alleging deceptive advertising under California’s Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law and Consumers Legal Remedies Act. The case was settled favorably on a nationwide basis and the district court’s final approval was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of libel suit against publisher and author.
- J.D., University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, 2013
- Extern for the Hon. Dolly M. Gee, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Clerk for the Major Crimes Division of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office
- Moot Court
- B.S., Duke University, 2010 (Biology; minor in Psychology and Chemistry)
- Dean’s List
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Rate : $$$$