Matthew J. Fedor defends clients in consumer class actions and complex commercial disputes. Matt also conducts internal investigations, and counsels clients on sales and marketing practices, and compliance with consumer protection statutes and regulations. He is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Group and vice chair of the Class Actions Team.
Matt defends companies in class actions and consumer disputes involving sales and marketing practices, product defects, and federal and state consumer protection statutes and regulations, such as the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act (CFA), New Jersey Truth-in-Consumer Contract Warranty and Notice Act (TCCWNA), California Anti-Spam Act (CASA), the New Jersey Gift Card Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Matt represents clients in complex litigation, arbitration, and internal investigations involving fraud, contract disputes, telecommunications and technology issues, privacy, breach of fiduciary duty, accounting and corporate governance issues, franchise disputes, products liability and mass tort, tortious interference, unfair competition, antitrust, trade libel, trademark infringement, non-compete and non-solicitation, employment disputes, misappropriation of trade secrets and insurance coverage.
He has served as the lead trial lawyer in numerous high-stakes arbitrations that resulted in arbitration awards in favor of his client. Matt counsels clients regarding compliance with various consumer protection statutes and regulations, such as the TCPA and TCCWNA.
He also advises clients regarding sales and marketing practices, consumer contract disclosures, website terms and conditions, and arbitration clauses.
He also has negotiated, drafted, and closed transactions involving sales agent and reseller agreements, product distribution agreements, participant waivers and releases, nondisclosure agreements, indemnity agreements, asset purchase agreements, and vendor agreements.
Matt is a regular contributor to the firm’s TCPA blog. He is co-leading the firm’s biometrics initiative and he is heavily involved in the firm’s TCCWNA practice.
- Currently defending a leading international media company in a putative class action asserting claims under the TCPA.
- Won dismissal of claims alleging violations of the California Anti-Spam Act on behalf of a leading athletic footwear and apparel retailer, which was affirmed on appeal. DeWitt, Case No. A141847 (Cal. Ct. App., 1st Dist. May 28, 2015).
- Developed strategy and managed team of litigators in defending over 1,100 related consumer arbitrations involving complex telecommunications and technology issues, which resulted in 14 wins out of 14 trials, and voluntary dismissal of all remaining cases without any settlement or other relief.
- Defended a major sports league in litigation involving alleged violations of the ADA in connection with website accessibility for blind and visually impaired consumers.
- Defended a leading athletic footwear and apparel retailer in a class action alleging failure to comply with the New Jersey Gift Card Act and the TCCWNA in connection with the sale of gift cards.
- Currently representing a large family-owned luxury car dealership in a several litigation matters against former employees involving alleged fraud, non-compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality violations, misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty, RICO, breach of contract.
- Won Rule 11 sanctions and dismissal of alleged violations of federal securities laws on behalf of individual hedge fund manager. Del Giudice, Civil No. 06-1413, 2009 WL 424368 (D.N.J. 2009).
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 2002, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, Seton Hall Law Review
- Rutgers University, B.S., 1997, with honors
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, Third Circui
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
Rate : $$$$