Mauricio Rivero focuses his practice on international tax planning, business succession planning, U.S. tax compliance, and tax controversy work. He has experience servicing high net worth international families with U.S. tax planning, expatriation, pre-immigration and succession planning, including the use of Private Trust Companies (PTCs) and U.S. income and transfer tax aspects of foreign trusts and estates.
He has also assisted U.S. and foreign investors and businesses with both inbound and outbound U.S. tax planning, income tax treaty planning, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate and partnership tax matters, and has assisted clients with REIT structuring, particularly involving foreign investors.
- Florida International University College of Law, JD (2005)
- Florida International University, PhD, History (2000)
- Florida International University, BA, English and History (1991)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
Previous Professional Experience:
- Had a 10-year tenure as a revenue agent working for the Internal Revenue Service, where he gained significant experience handling a variety of complex tax matters for the IRS, including both domestic and international tax issues.
- Represented an estate before the IRS where the Government was seeking to assess prior income tax and fraud penalties in excess of $75M resulting in the Government conceding for a zero tax liability.
- Represent several multi-jurisdictional families with an average net worth in excess of $100M in their trust, estate and income tax planning.
- Member, Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Member American Bar Association
- Member, Cuban American Bar Association
- Member, Florida Bar Tax Section International Law Committee
Community : Member, UM Citizens Board
Rate : $$$