Michael J. Riesen focuses his practice on patent prosecution, including preparing and prosecuting domestic and international patent applications, managing patent portfolios, and providing patentability and freedom-to-operate opinions.
Michael uses his technical background in material sciences, physics, electrical engineering and computer science to assist in IP due diligence and patent litigation, and works with clients to quickly assess their cases and develop effective strategies.
A former high school and college physics teacher, Michael capitalizes on his ability to understand complex and high-level scientific concepts and to effectively convey such concepts to inventors, counsel, judges, juries and examiners.
He regards the relationships he forms with clients and organizations as relationships focused on commitment, value and responsiveness.
- Worked with a Fortune 500 company to develop a patent landscape study and filing strategy relating to Internet-of-Things (IoT) and incorporation of data science analytics into product line.
- Represents multiple universities across the country in matters relating to patent prosecution and litigation, contracts, licensing and export control. Manages patent families in optics, medical devices, image processing and other technologies from schools of engineering, medicine and applied physics.
- Serves as senior manager on a large patent portfolio for a client in the plastics and material science industry. Works with numerous inventors from throughout the world and with multiple foreign filings contacts to facilitate client business and communication goals.
- Worked with an emerging company in the medical communication industry, assisting with international and domestic filing strategy for a patent portfolio. Also counseled on aspects of data privacy/security in HIPAA-compliant messaging.
- Represented an automobile supplies company, assisting in the facilitation of company expansion into a new international market in India. Strategized regarding patent prosecution, including licensing, joint venture agreements, mergers and acquisitions, research agreements and due diligence. Worked closely with foreign and in-house counsel and inventors, and brainstormed and developed the company’s new business venture from the ground up.
- Southeast Medical Device Association (SEMDA)
- The Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers (SCTE)
- The Optical Society (OSA)
- Society of Vacuum Coaters (SVC)
- Technology Association of Georgia (TAG)
- The University of Toledo Alumni Association
- TI:GER® Program: Mentoring current graduate and professional students as part of the joint entrepreneurial education program with Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University.
- J.D., University of Toledo College of Law, cum laude; Intellectual Property Society, President; Student Bar Association, President; Trial Advocacy Team; Dean’s Award for Service, Recipient
- M.S., Engineering, University of Toledo, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- B.S., Physics, Clarion University of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Registration No. 67,029
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
Rate : $$$