Currently serving as a senior advisor to the U.S. Secretary of Commerce and the U.S. Trade Representative on the Industry Trade Advisory Committee for Aerospace, where she chairs the Export Expansion Subcommittee, Michelle Schulz serves Fortune 500 clients in numerous sectors such as oil and gas, aerospace, and automotive. She advises manufacturers, distributors, and defense contractors.
While holding a secret level security clearance, she advocates for exporters and importers in federal investigations, fines and penalties, audits, disclosures, export licensing, and other international trade matters.
Michelle’s experience includes defense exports/International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), dual-use exports/Export Administration Regulations (EAR), import duties and tariff reduction, e-commerce, exports in services, anti-boycott, anti-bribery, Buy America, Customs clearance, foreign investments/Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. (CFIUS), establishing and auditing Foreign-Trade Zones (FTZs), free trade agreements, international contracts, sanctions and embargoes, and trade data reporting to the U.S. Census Bureau (Census).
Frequently representing clients in customs and trade audits and investigations, Michelle is well versed in negotiating with enforcement officers and working with clients to limit risk and improve compliance processes.
Michelle has guided clients through international business transactions across Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and worldwide. She routinely advises clients on compliance and enforcement matters under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Under the U.S. Secretary of Commerce, Michelle served six years as a senior advisor on the President’s Export Council Subcommittee for Export Administration (PECSEA) in Washington, D.C., and chaired the PECSEA’s Data Transmission and Security Subcommittee.
As a recognized leader in her field, she regularly presents on international trade topics at professional conferences in the U.S. and abroad.
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 2001
- M.A., Vanderbilt University, 1998
- B.A., Tulane University, 1995
Bar Admissions : Texas
Court Admissions : U.S. Court of International Trade
- Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Aerospace (ITAC 1), Advisory Committee to U.S. Department of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative, Export Expansion Subcommittee, Past Chair
- State Bar of Texas, International Law Section, Past Chair, 2017-2018; Asian Pacific Interest Section, Member
- D/FW French-American Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Society for International Affairs, Member
- American Association of Exporters and Importers, Member
- International Compliance Professionals Association, Member
- President’s Export Council Subcommittee on Export Administration (PECSEA), Past Member
- PECSEA, Data Transmission and Security Subcommittee, Advisory Council to U.S. Department of Commerce, Past Chair
- PECSEA, Outreach Subcommittee, Past Member
- Customs Operation advisory Committee Subcommittee on Bands and Penalties, Past Member
- Richland College, Past Adjunct professor, International Business Law; Thunderation Teaching Award recipent, 2006
- Institute for the Economic Empowerment of Women, Mentor
Rate : $$$