Ofer Lion is a tax partner in the Corporate department of Seyfarth Shaw LLP. He has represented nonprofits and tax-exempt organizations in a wide range of tax, transactional, corporate, governance and fiduciary matters, including formation, mergers and acquisitions, executive compensation, international activities and affiliations, unrelated business taxable income, joint ventures, program-related investments, political activities and lobbying, audits and tax controversies, tax return review, tax-exempt bonds and dissolutions.
He has extensively represented companies in all aspects of transactional tax matters, including mergers and acquisitions (domestic and cross-border taxable transactions, tax-free spin-offs, Section 351 transactions and corporate reorganizations), equity and debt securities finance, partnerships and private equity funds, real estate investment trusts (REITs), bankruptcy reorganizations, debt restructurings and state and local tax issues.
Mr. Lion has been quoted as a tax-exempt organizations authority in numerous news stories, including on NPR, by the Associated Press and in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, Tax Analysts, The Huffington Post, Forbes.com and Politico.com. He has taught “Tax-Exempt Organizations: Law and Practice” as an adjunct professor at the UCLA School of Law.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law (2002)
- B.A., Pennsylvania State University (1997)
- AHLA practice groups: Tax and Finance, Business Law and Governance
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association, Tax Section, Exempt Organizations Committee, Subcommittee on UBIT; Member, Exempt Organizations Committee, 2009–Present
- California State Bar Association, Taxation Section, Tax-Exempt Organizations, 2006–Present
- Chair, Exempt Organizations Practice Group, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2008–2009; Member, 2003–Present
Rate : $$$