Olivier De Moor advises hedge and private equity funds on the U.S. federal tax and tax treaty aspects of the structuring and restructuring of their investments in the United States, and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions.
His clients also include sovereign wealth funds and high-net-worth individuals.Olivier regularly provides counsel on the U.S. and international tax aspects of foreign investments by U.S. investors. He advises on a broad range of U.S. withholding issues and has extensive experience handling FATCA and Foreign Bank Account Reporting issues.
Earlier in his career, Olivier practiced as a tax attorney in Belgium before coming to the United States. He is extremely active in the pro bono space, representing refugees and clients under the Violence Against Women Act in immigration law matters. He also advises numerous educational institutions and other tax-exempt organizations in tax matters.
- Extensive experience handling issues under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the Common Reporting Standard (CRS).
- Represents investment funds and their investors on the U.S. federal tax and tax treaty aspects of cross-border transactions.
- Advises on international tax aspects of foreign investments by U.S. investors.
- Advising on secondary market and fund restructuring transactions.
- Assisting non-U.S. investors in U.S. treaty eligibility, profit repatriation and portfolio interest planning.
- Providing tax advice on esoteric investment strategies, including credit-linked notes, credit default swaps, tax liens, royalty streams, life settlement assets and cryptocurrency.
- Representing fund sponsors on fund formation and separately managed account arrangements, seed investments and fee and carry share structures, and incentive compensation planning.
- Advising on the U.S. federal tax and tax treaty aspects of loan origination and seasoning, distressed debt strategies, holding structures for debt and warrant instruments, and exit strategies.
- Counseling U.S. and non-U.S. tax-exempt investors on active business and levered instruments, treaty exemptions and excess business holdings tax issues.
- Advising high-net-worth individuals on U.S. tax issues, including pre-immigration planning.
- Member, Akin Gump New York Office Pro Bono Committee
- Member, New York State Bar Association Tax Section Committee on Investment Funds.
- Board member, Ghent University Alumni USA.
- LL.M., University of Michigan Law School, 2008
- LL.B., Ghent University, cum laude, 2004
- P.G.D.L., University of Brussels, magna cum laude, 2005
- New York
Rate : $$$$