Paul Shapses advises on sophisticated commercial real estate transactions, including financings, joint ventures, acquisitions, dispositions and development matters, with a focus on hospitality and resort financing, acquisition, management and development.
Paul has been instrumental in the financing, acquisition and workout of more than $12 billion of resort and hotel properties in the United States, Canada, the Bahamas, Anguilla, Bermuda, the Dominican Republic, Turks & Caicos, St. Martin and Mexico.
He has handled sophisticated hotel and resort matters since 1988 and in 1993 worked to establish the first securitized lending program originated by a major Wall Street investment bank devoted to the hospitality industry.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represented institutional lenders in financing of senior and mezzanine construction and acquisition loans throughout the United States, including resorts located in Bachelor Gulch, Rancho Mirage, Maui, Kauai, Santa Fe, Telluride, Houston, Manhattan, Philadelphia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Turks & Caicos, Bermuda, and the Bahamas.
- Represented a public real estate development company in the negotiation of an innovative acquisition of development rights via a 1031 Exchange, long term lease and development agreement.
- Represented numerous public and non-public companies from investor and developer positions in New York luxury condominium developments, including foreign investors from the Middle East and Asia requiring tax efficient structuring.
- Represented investor group in ultra luxury hotel operating agreement with premiere hotel operator.
- Represented joint venture in the negotiation of a $230 million construction loan for new luxury Manhattan condominium.
- Represented nontraditional lender in the financing of hotel loans secured by full service hotels throughout the United States, including ground lease and construction financing.
- Represented prominent investment company in the acquisition of a preferred equity interest in Waterside Plaza, New York, a large multi-family residential complex on the East River of Manhattan.
- Represented owners selling major real estate assets including 767 Fifth Avenue (the GM Building), 1301 Avenue of the Americas (formerly the JC Penney Building), and the Righa Royal Hotel, Manhattan).
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- American Bar Association
- Real Estate Board of New York
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Past Member, Commercial Mortgage Securities Association
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1983
- Binghamton University, 1980
ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$$