Paula Sweeney focuses on cases involving complex medical and scientific issues. She has been a leader in the field of healthcare liability litigation for decades, and still takes a few cases in that field, along with work on pharmaceutical and prescription liability cases.
Paula is well known for her powerful cross-examination skills and her expertise in handling complex cases involving catastrophic injury and complicated medical issues.
Paula came to Slack Davis Sanger from the Dallas law firm Howie & Sweeney, which she founded with John Howie in 1995. Paula and John practiced together until his death in December 2002. A frequent teacher and invited lecturer for legal, medical, and other professional groups across Texas and much of the United States, Paula was named a Legend of Trial Law by the Dallas Bar Association as well as its 2012 Trial Lawyer of the Year.
In the courtroom, Paula’s skills as a cross-examiner have been described as “relentless” and “driven”; as one defense lawyer put it, “Paula is like a heat-seeking missile.” She has also received the Gene Cavin Award from the State Bar of Texas for lifetime commitment to continuing legal education. Paula is licensed to practice law in Texas and Montana.
- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law
- B.A., The University of Dallas
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Trial Advocacy College of Texas, Faculty Member (2014)
- American Board of Trial Advocates — Dallas Chapter, President (2000)
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, President (1998)
- State Bar of Texas, Director (1992–1995)
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association, President (1991)
Rate : $$$