Randall A. Hack is co-leader of Locke Lord’s Antitrust Practice Group. At both the trial and appellate levels, he represents corporate clients in significant antitrust, RICO, intellectual property, fraud and other business disputes.
He counsels clients on competition and other regulatory compliance issues, and represents clients before federal and state regulatory bodies, in conjunction with change of control transactions, joint ventures and product distribution.
In both the litigation and counseling contexts, Randall has acquired substantial understanding of the economic and legal framework for financial, health care, insurance and pharmaceutical markets, among many others.
Randall has directed the defense of numerous civil antitrust price-fixing, tying, monopolization and Robinson-Patman Act cases. He has extensive experience opposing purported class or mass action claims.
His class action defense experience ranges beyond antitrust to include federal RICO, state deceptive trade practices and statutory-based liability theories periodically in favor with the plaintiffs’ class action bar. He has worked extensively with economic experts addressing questions of market structure, conduct and performance.
Randall has a national litigation practice and appears regularly in courts throughout the country. He is seasoned in handling hard cases with substantial financial exposure. He has served as chair or member of a number of national defense steering committees, where he has been responsible for directing and coordinating litigation across multiple forums.
Randall advises clients on how to anticipate and minimize large-scale legal risks in structuring mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and day-to-day business operations. Much of his work has concentrated in healthcare and various insurance lines. Randall’s counseling work frequently involves clients with leading market positions that require guidance on core business practices and strategic transactions.
He has experience before the Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission and state Attorneys Generals and Departments of Insurance resolving enforcement agency concerns. Along with advising corporate clients, Randall has counseled industry associations which have their unique set of governance, communication and other compliance issues.
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Associate, Partner, Kirkland & Ellis LLP (1984-93)
Professional Affiliations :
- The Lawyers Club of Chicago
- President (2007 – 2008)
- Vice President (2005 – 2007)
- Secretary/Treasurer (2003 – 2005)
- Board of Directors (2001 – 2015)
- American Bar Association
- Antitrust Section
- Vice-Chair, Antitrust Section Trade, Sports and Professional Associations Committee (2016 – current)
- Litigation Section
- Corporate Counseling Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Appointee to President’s Special Committee on Fair and Impartial Courts (2012 – 2014)
- Appointee to Chief Justice’s Panel on Shaping the Future of the Illinois Courts: Visions, Values and Strategies (2013)
- Appointee to Antitrust & Unfair Competition Law Section Leadership Council (2012 – 2014)
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 1984
- B.A., highest honors, University of Notre Dame, 1981
Admissions : Illinois, 1984
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1984
- Multiple admissions to other state and federal forums
Rate : $$$