Robert Hopkins is chair of the firm’s Baltimore office. He practices in the area of litigation with a concentration on transportation, products liability and commercial litigation both domestically and internationally.
Mr. Hopkins also has represented clients in administrative proceedings before various federal agencies, including the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Coast Guard, the National Transportation Safety Board and the Department of Homeland Security.
Mr. Hopkins has also counseled clients in large scale product recalls and reporting obligations under the laws enforced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and is one of only a handful of attorneys who has actually tried a case in federal court against the CPSC.
- Obtained on behalf of the special committee of the Board of Directors of JAVELIN Mortgage Investment Corp. (NYSE: JMI) a denial of a motion for preliminary injunction during class action litigation in Maryland, which allowed the completion of the sale of all the shares of JAVELIN to ARMOUR Residential REIT, Inc. (NYSE: ARR).
- CPSIA Compliance Programs. Assisted a range of companies (including major clothing and equipment manufacturers, importers and distributors) in setting up compliance programs dealing with the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (the “CPSIA”), which made dramatic changes to the laws enforced by the CPSC.
- CPSC Reporting. Represented a range of companies that are required to make mandatory reports to the CPSC as to defective products that could create substantial product hazards.
- CPSC Public Database Responses. Assisted companies in responding to and assessing consumer incident reports that are now being published on a newly created CPSC web site.
- The Elk River Collision Proceedings. Representation of major shipowner in one of the most serious marine collisions to occur in Maryland waters in last 30 years.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1988
- Trinity College, B.A., 1985
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Baltimore City Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Board Member (2008-2011)
- Admiralty Law Institute, Board Member
- American Maritime Cases, Vice President
Rate : $$$$