Mr. Robert S. Friedman is a partner in the Business Trial and White Collar Practice Groups in the firm’s New York office. He heads the Business Trial Practice Group in New York and is the leader of the firm’s South Asia team. Mr. Friedman focuses on business and corporate litigation matters.
He has tried over 70 cases and regularly represents financial institutions, technology companies, media companies and litigation trustees in significant business disputes, including those involving trade secrets, software theft, non-compete, securities and license agreements.
He has achieved successful outcomes in the major international arbitral forums and has led numerous internal investigations for clients in all industries. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Friedman was a Senior Trial Attorney in the Homicide Bureau of the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1989, cum laude
- B.A., Tufts University, 1986, cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Won jury trial in New York State Supreme Court Commercial Division for financial management firm in a multi-million dollar trade secret, unfair competition, and corporate raiding case.
- Defended Fortune 500 company in a federal jury trial involving copyright infringement, trade secret and unfair competition claims. Case settled favorably during cross-examination of plaintiff’s second witness.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement on the eve of trial and full dismissal of a ten-figure counterclaim for technology company after winning a Daubert motion and other pre-trial rulings in a breach of contract and unfair competition case.
- Represented major publisher and direct marketer in a $20 million jury trial in New York State Supreme Court arising out of breach of contract allegations. Obtained favorable settlement while the jury was deliberating.
- Obtained dismissal, with prejudice and with no payments to plaintiff, of a non-solicitation and breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit against former employees of a computer networking company.
- Won trial in bankruptcy court on behalf of a national Special Servicer in connection with enforcement of a CMBS transaction involving nine commercial properties.
- Defeated temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction on behalf of a mezzanine lender in connection with a large real estate development project in Brooklyn.
- Served as special litigation counsel to a post-effective date committee and obtained a pre-complaint settlement after an investigation, increasing the creditor recovery ten-fold.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a foreign investment company in a securities fraud case against a major investment bank involving multiple parties arising out of complex currency derivative transactions.
- Obtained control of millions of dollars in art collateral on behalf of a credit opportunity fund after evidentiary hearing and then collected over $30 million after string of successful motions against several borrowers.
Rate : $$$