For Rodney W. Carter, honesty and credibility are the foundation for the strong relationships he develops with clients. Rod has earned a reputation for skillfully steering complex business and real estate transactions to successful outcomes within the public and private sectors.
Leader of the firm’s Telecommunications team, Rod represents telecommunications companies and cable and internet service providers in all phases of their businesses. He also represents developers and national, regional and local retailers, and advises clients in industrial, office and multifamily real estate transactions.
Rod has broad experience in land use planning, zoning, eminent domain, tax increment financing, leasing, and construction and design contracts. He often represents clients in proceedings before governmental agencies.
He brings to his work strategic vision and a collaborative approach to solving problems. Rod is an effective advocate, deeply knowledgeable about the law and practical in finding effective solutions to clients’ issues.
A wireless tower acquisition company sought to construct a new communications tower in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. The local planning commission denied the tower on the grounds that surrounding residential properties would be harmed, purportedly because a wireless tower already stood on the property.
Rod challenged the commission in court while simultaneously negotiating removal of the existing tower, effectively resolving the court action. The settlement paved the way for the client’s tower, which could accommodate multiple carriers, and accomplished the city’s goal of limiting the number of towers on the property.
- Represented lenders and borrowers on workouts and financial restructuring of distressed real estate projects, including retail and office centers, hotels, industrial properties and other types of commercial and multifamily real estate.
- Advised NYSE and NASDAQ telecommunications companies on deployment of wireless digital networks, including securing government approvals, acquiring public and private land rights, and negotiating lease/co-location agreements.
- Represented companies in negotiation/enforcement of complex commercial transactions, including network joint ventures, interconnection agreements, pole attachment agreements, co-location agreements, IRU agreements, joint trench agreements, fiber leases, and ISP and VoIP service agreements.
- Advocated for clients before federal and state courts, the Federal Communications Commission and state public utility commissions.
- Represented Lendlease in obtaining favorable settlement in lawsuit against the Village of Cary, Illinois. The victory paves the way for the construction of the first privately-permitted wireless tower in the Village.
Community Leadership :
- Board of Zoning Appeals, City of Brookfield, Wisconsin
- Carthage College Alumni Association, Officer, Board of Directors
- Marquette University Law School Mediation Program, Teacher, Mediator and Judge
- Marquette University Law School Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2004-2012
- J.D., Marquette University Law School
- B.A., Carthage College
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Real Estate and Public Utilities Sections
- American Bar Association, Real Property and Public Utility/Communications Law Sections
- Federal Communications Bar Association, Midwest Chapter, Co-Director
- Illinois Wireless Association
- Commercial Association of Realtors Wisconsin
Rate : $$$