Russell K. Smith is a shareholder and chair of the firm’s Business & Finance Section. Mr. Smith represents private companies in a broad range of industries and sectors, including venture capital, life sciences, software, internet, real estate, manufacturing, retail, telecommunications and energy (including oil and gas).
Mr. Smith regularly advises start-up and emerging-growth companies from formation through liquidity event in matters including governance, debt and equity financing, equity incentive compensation, and mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Smith also represents venture capital firms, strategic corporate investors, and angel investors in their investments in start-up companies. Many of his clients are partnership and LLCs for whom he provides sophisticated management, capital strategy, and partnership tax advice.
Mr. Smith has been directly involved with LLC and partnership legislation in California and Utah. Most recently, Mr. Smith played a prominent role drafting and helping to pass Utah’s version of the Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act. The Business Section of the Utah Bar Associate honored Mr. Smith as the 2012-2013 Distinguished Business Law Practitioner of the Year.
- Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School – J.D., cum laude (1992)
- Member, Moot Court Board
- Brigham Young University – B.S., Business Finance, cum laude (1989)
Professional and Civic Activities:
- Recipient, Business Law Practitioner of the Year, Utah Bar Association (2012-2013)
- Chair, Durham Jones & Pinegar Business & Finance Section
- Chair, Business Section, Utah State Bar (2008-2009); Officer (2005–2009)
- Member, San Diego Venture Group (2001–2003)
Rate : $$$$