Ryan R. Smith is a partner in the patent litigation and trial practice at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. Ryan has served as lead counsel in prosecuting and defending patent infringement actions in federal courts throughout the country, including before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
He has litigated more than 75 patent cases involving a broad spectrum of subject matters, including semiconductors, computer networking, consumer electronics, enterprise software, and financial technology. For example, Ryan recently served as lead trial counsel for a defendant in a high-stakes patent case in the Eastern District of Texas, obtaining a complete defense verdict on all four asserted patents.
Ryan has drafted and negotiated more than 50 patent license agreements in a variety of different contexts, including settlement of litigation and as part of more extensive business deals. He also advises companies regarding the impact of patent litigation on a variety of transactions, including IPOs, mergers, acquisitions, and asset purchases.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 2003
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, 2000
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$