A variety of governmental entities, from colleges to counties, rely on Sandy Hellums-Gomez for sound judgment and deep subject-matter expertise in the area of public law. Sandy’s practice focuses on governance and compliance with an emphasis on complex public business and infrastructure matters. She works closely with clients to satisfy ethical and compliance requirements while still achieving the public functions required of them.
Whether it be addressing day-to-day business matters or responding to highly politicized disputes, Sandy utilizes her deep experience in representing educational institutions, special purpose districts and other public entities to build consensus, assess risks and solve legal problems rather than merely identifying them.
Sandy regularly provides counseling, training, investigation and dispute resolution services with an emphasis on infrastructure, federal compliance, purchasing and contracting. She also routinely advises boards and administrations on issues related to civil rights, ethics and land use.
- Advised largest Texas school district on all aspects of procurement and contracting related to $2 billion infrastructure improvement program.
- Provided more than 40 hours of procurement, ethics and contracting training to large urban school district.
- Managed large-scale e-Discovery project for private university related to multiple Title IX claims.
- Investigated claims against city council member related to alleged harassment and inappropriate relationship with staff members resulting in council censure.
- Created payment in lieu of taxes agreement for local school district in connection with foreign trade zone manufacturing subzone application.
- Advised numerous entities regarding federal funding issues including compliance with EDGAR and FEMA.
Community Leadership :
- Texas State Bar Government Law Section, Secretary
- Yellow Rose of Texas, Governor Commission
- City of West University Place, Zoning Board of Adjustment, 2011-present
- National School Boards Association – Council of School Attorneys
- Texas Association of School Business Officials
- J.D., William Mary Law School
- M.A., University of Houston
- B.A., Wellesley College
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- Houston Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, School Law Section
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
Rate : $$$