Stephen E. Marshall is a trial and appellate litigator who focuses on medical, scientific, and technology issues. Steve has experience in federal and state courts and has directed all stages of litigation, including as lead trial counsel, coordinating counsel, and settlement counsel.
He has tried cases involving product liability, insurance coverage, intentional tort, premises liability, and catastrophic accidents. His participation on science and expert development teams in mass tort pharmaceutical and vaccine litigation has given him considerable knowledge in the areas of cardiology, neurology, immunology, and epidemiology.
Steve has participated in several months-long trials involving pharmaceuticals, medical diagnostic assays, and technology used by the financial industry. He has played lead roles in two recent MDLs and one consolidated mass action.
He has argued numerous appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Eleventh Circuits, and before state appellate courts in Maryland and Pennsylvania.
Steve has tried to verdict and resolved several cases before the Court of Appeals of Maryland. He draws from his extensive knowledge of efficient, court-tested techniques to help petitioning parties overturn lower state court decisions and help respondents defend favorable rulings on appeal.
Representative Matters :
- Participated in the defense of pharmaceutical companies in more than 15 multi-week trials that went to verdict
- Obtained a defense verdict in a defamation action, tried over a two-week period, that was selected by a national legal publication as one of the top 15 defense verdicts that year
- Obtained favorable judgments for clients in courts in Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Florida, Louisiana, and Kansas
- Affirmed summary judgements for all respondents in Aventis Pasteur, Inc. v. Skevofilax, 396 Md. 405, 914 A.2d 113 (2007)
- Answered certified questions from federal circuit decisions and state appellate courts for the respondent in Doe v. Pharmacia & Upjohn Company, Inc., 386 Md. 407, 879 A.2d 1088 (2005)
- Dismissed appeals contesting favorable lower-court decisions for the respondent in Property & Casualty Insurance Guaranty Corporation of Maryland v. Frederick Memorial Hospital, 397 Md. 448, 916 A.2d 499 (2007).
- J.D.William & Mary Marshall-Wythe School of Law1989
- B.A.cum laudeWheeling Jesuit University1986
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Professional Memberships :
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Member, Maryland Association of Defense Trial Counsel
Rate : $$$