Steven F. Griffith, a shareholder in the New Orleans office with a national practice, assists clients in various industries, including affordable housing, construction, hospitality, and marine. He currently serves on Baker Donelson’s Board of Directors and on the Firm’s Audit and Finance Committee.
Mr. Griffith also manages the relationship with several clients that entrust the Firm with disputes throughout the Southeast or nationwide. He has represented or advised clients regarding matters in over 35 states. Prior to practicing, he served as judicial clerk for Chief Justice Pascal F. Calogero, in the Louisiana Supreme Court from 2000 to 2001.
- Loyola School of Law, J.D., 2000, magna cum laude
- Rhodes College, B.A., 1997, cum laude
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Courts, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- Business Litigation
- Trial counsel in various engagements across the country regarding multi-million dollar partnership disputes alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and similar theories of recovery.
- Served as trial counsel defending a bad faith breach of contract claim seeking in excess of $4 million in damages and penalties. Obtained a defense verdict in favor of the client and an award against the plaintiff for damages.
- Defended an international contractor in primary and copycat matters alleging nationwide FLSA and state law class action claims, resulting in the client incurring no out-of-pocket settlement contribution or attorneys’ fees.
- Lead counsel in the defense of nationwide, statewide and local FLSA collective actions alleging misclassification or inadequate pay of employees pending in Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Florida, Michigan, and Virginia.
- Negotiated the transition of senior executives and department managers out of the client’s employment, resolving whistleblower claims as part of the agreements.
- Internal Investigations
- Handled internal investigations regarding employees at all levels – from Chief Executive Officers to receptionists – involving allegations of harassment, theft and other concerns.
- Investigated sensitive allegations for employers implicating insurance fraud, NERC, FAA and other regulatory schemes.
- Managed investigations involving regulatory concerns of criminal conduct, environmental violations and the death of employees.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Leadership in Law Class of 2013, New Orleans CityBusiness
- Member – Federal Bar Association (Board Member, New Orleans Chapter)
- Member – American, Louisiana and New Orleans Bar Associations
- Member – Fifth Circuit Bar Association
- Member – Thomas More Inn of Court
- Volunteer – New Orleans Pro Bono Project
- Fellow – Louisiana Bar Foundation (Member, Grants Committee)
- Member – Louisiana Supreme Court Historical Society
- Member – Hurstville Neighborhood Association
Rate : $$$$