Stuart N. Senator is a litigation partner in the Los Angeles office of Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP. His practice focuses primarily on complex business litigation in trial and appellate courts, and investigations led by the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice.
Mr. Senator’s clients include a diverse group of national and international companies, and his major areas of practice include antitrust, unfair competition, legal malpractice/malicious prosecution and law firm ethics and conflicts of interest.
Mr. Senator provides antitrust counseling and compliance advice on numerous subjects, including distribution practices, pricing, trade association activity and mergers. Mr. Senator has also been an invited presenter at various professional conferences regarding antitrust issues. In addition to his work for clients, Mr. Senator is General Counsel to the firm, advising on issues relating to legal ethics and law firm management.
Mr. Senator is active in community affairs and pro bono matters. He has been a trustee of the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy Foundation, a director of Menorah Housing Foundation and a trustee of the California State Parks Foundation.
In 2010, Mr. Senator received the Social Justice Award from the American Civil Liberties Union for his work in leading litigation to protect farm workers from unsafe work conditions. In 2013, Mr. Senator received Public Counsel’s Pro Bono Award for Impact Litigation for his continued work on this issue. Mr. Senator has also received the Western Law Center For Disability Rights’ Pro Bono Award for leading litigation to further the rights of individuals with disabilities.
- Universal Music in obtaining government approval for its acquisition of EMI, as well as in federal antitrust litigation regarding Minimum Advertised Pricing policies.
- Salomon Brothers in the Department of Justice’s investigation and class action litigation regarding Nasdaq trading practices.
- Universal Home Video in federal antitrust litigations regarding video distribution.
- Shell Oil Company in defense of antitrust challenges to gasoline pricing and joint ventures, including obtaining a unanimous decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in Shell’s favor.
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals in defense of class action and private litigation alleging violation of the antitrust laws from a pharmaceutical intellectual property settlement agreement.
- LG Display in defense of class action and individual antitrust cases stemming from allegations of price-fixing among manufacturers of LCD panels.
- International, national and local law firms in defending legal malpractice claims, including class action claims, and advising on avoiding claims.
- International, national and local law firms in defending against disqualification motions.
- UC Berkeley School of Law (J.D., 1989) Order of the Coif; executive editor, California Law Review, 1988-1989
- UC Berkeley (M.A., 1987)
- Princeton University (A.B., cum laude, 1984)
Bar Admissions : California
Rate : $$$