Susan E. Briones is a senior associate with the Dallas office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the firm’s Healthcare practice. With a long term focus in Health Law, during law school Ms. Briones was a member of University of Houston’s Health Law Association, the Health Law & Policy Institute, and was Chief Notes & Comments Editor for the Houston Journal of Health Law & Policy. She then obtained her Master of Laws Degree in Health Law from the University of Houston Law Center’s nationally ranked LL.M. Health Law program.
Ms. Briones has practiced healthcare liability defense in Texas for over 15 years and has extensive experience representing healthcare providers including physicians, nurses, dentists, pharmacists, and social workers in healthcare liability claims and providing legal assistance in employment, compliance and contracting matters.
She also handles cases involving healthcare institutions such as hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and freestanding emergency, surgical, and general medicine clinics.
Ms. Briones also has many years’ experience defending doctors, nurses, dentists, social workers, and other healthcare professionals before state licensing boards, successfully resolving board complaints and investigations at every stage from initial complaint through Informal Settlement Conference and beyond.
In addition, she has represented healthcare providers in Quality Improvement Investigations by private insurers and Medicare (KEPRO), HIPAA violation investigations by the Department of Health & Human Services Office of Civil Rights, and healthcare fraud investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- University of Houston Law Center, Juris Doctor
- University of Houston Law Center, Master of Laws in Health Law
- New Mexico State University, Master of Arts, Education
- New Mexico State University, Bachelor of Arts, Theatre Arts
- State Bar Admissions, Colorado, Texas
- United States District Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Health Law Section
- Member, Dallas Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Member, American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM)
- Volunteer, Houston Bar Association/Texas Supreme Court Historical Society Teach Texas program
- Volunteer, St. Joseph Apache Mission Restoration Project
Professional Presentations :
- Presenter – HIPAA Soup to Nuts – Continuing Education for Insurance Professionals, 2017
- Presenter – Handling Quality of Care Complaints from Private Insurance & Medicare – University of Texas ER Residents Conference, 2017
- Co-Presenter – The Texas Medical Board: What all Doctors Need to Know – Continuing Education for Insurance Professionals and University of Texas ER Residents Conference, 2016
- Co-Presenter – Ethical Considerations for Liability Insurers: Conflicts of Interest & National Practitioner Databank – Continuing Education for Insurance Professionals, 2016
- Co-Presenter – Handling Texas Medical Board Matters from Initial Complaint to District Court – Continuing Education for Insurance Professionals, 2014.
Legal Experience :
- Extensive motion practice, drafting and arguing motions at the trial court level and oral arguments before Texas Courts of Appeal
- Successfully obtaining dismissals of lawsuits at trial court level with Motions to Dismiss and Motions for Summary Judgment
- Successfully defending dismissals at trial level and on interlocutory appeal to Court of Appeals and Texas Supreme Court with recovery of attorneys’ fees
- Successfully defending healthcare practitioners before Texas State Licensing Boards, with high rate of dismissal prior to Informal Settlement Conference and at ISC
- Obtaining favorable results in US Department of Health & Human Services Office of Civil Rights investigations of HIPAA violations
- Contributing to numerous publications addressing healthcare liability claims and licensing board defense in Texas.
Rate : $$$$