Susan Wetzel is the chair of the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Practice Group. She counsels employers, executives and members of corporate boards regarding design, implementation, and compliance issues relating to retirement plans, welfare plans, employee benefits, executive compensation, and mergers and acquisitions. She has provided legal advice regarding the employee benefit issues in over 800 mergers and acquisitions throughout her career.
Susan’s experience also includes, among other things, assisting U.S.-based clients with the design and implementation of equity incentive plans for the benefit of their globally-based employees. She is a frequent speaker on employee benefits issues at seminars for human resources groups, bar associations, individual companies, and continuing education seminars.
Susan is a contributor to Haynes and Boone’s Practical Benefits Lawyer blog, which discusses issues and developments in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation.
- J.D., Ohio Northern University, 1997, with honors
- B.B.A., Western Michigan University, 1994, magna cum laude
ADMISSIONS : Texas, Indiana
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES :
- Dallas Women Lawyers Association Foundation, Board of Directors, Director 2018-2019
- American College of Employee Benefits Counsel, Fellow
- The Trinity Commons Foundation; Board of Directors, 2014-2018; Vice Chair, 2017-2018
- American Bar Association Section of Taxation, Employee Benefits Committee; Chair, 2015-2016; Vice Chair, 2011-2014; Litigation Subcommittee, Chair, 2010-2011; Mergers and Acquisitions Subcommittee, Co-Chair, 2005-2010; Section of Taxation Nominating Committee, Member, 2016-2019
- State Bar of Texas Tax Section, Employee Benefits Committee; Chair, 2010-2017; Vice Chair, 2009-2010; Council Member, 2012-2014
- International Pension and Employee Benefits Lawyers Association; Member, 2008-2019
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation; Member, 2014-2019
- ONU Law Alumni Association; Board of Directors, 2010-2019
- Dallas Bar Association, Employee Benefits/Executive Compensation Section Committee; Chair, 2008; Member, 2004-2019
- Dallas Chamber of Commerce; Public Policy Committee, Chair, 2010; Healthcare Taskforce, 2004-2009
Rate : $$$